Every woodworker knows how important it is to have the right woodworking tools, but choosing the best drill bits isn’t always easy! That’s why, in this article we are going to focus on how to select the best drill bits for your needs.
Understanding how to select drill bits is vital to your ability to complete a project without having to head back to the hardware store during the middle of it. As with many things, knowing which tool to use and when is the first step in creating the best possible outcome for your project.
Anyone who has drilled holes in anything (clay, ceramic, wood) will tell you that the most frustrating part of the project is picking the right drill bit for the job. Trying to figure out which bits will work best for your particular application can be overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be. Believe it or not, there are a few simple things you can do to help eliminate much of the guesswork regarding choosing the right drill bits.
A drill driver is the single device you are most likely to use to make a hole in something. Like any tool, you need to replace its bits when they get dull or broken. When changing bits on your first drill, the selection might seem like a big one. But it’s really not. You want bits that can drive screws, but be careful and take your time when using them. There are many kinds of bits available and new ones coming out all the time. It’s important for the DIYer to spend some time in bit selection to avoid future problems.
Drill bits are used in a lot of home projects, but there is some confusion about how to select the best Drill bit set for a particular job. The key is to make sure you have the right bit for the material you're working with.
A drill bit is made up of three main components
Drill bits are the most common and versatile of drill accessories. They are used to drill holes through various materials. A drill bit is made up of three main components:
The center section of the bit, which is shank-mounted into a drill and the hole is drilled with the help of this part. * Flutes – these are the grooves or channels that are present on the perimeter of the bit. They help in cutting and removing chips from the drilling area. * Shank – this is a section that goes from the tip to the core and helps in mounting it into a drill.
2.Titanium Drill Bits
Titanium bits are lightweight and can handle high temperatures as well as high pressure. It has 20% higher strength than steel and 40% more corrosion resistance than carbon steel. This makes titanium a good choice for drilling in areas such as concrete, masonry, brick, refractory material, soft stone, and ceramic tile.
3.Steel Drill Bits
Steel drill bits are constructed of high-speed steel (HSS) or carbide, and are available in standard or non-standard shank sizes. Some steel bits feature a tungsten carbide coating to improve the cutting action, while others are ball-tipped, giving them a greater radius to work on curved surfaces. Drill bits with a cobalt or titanium coating are used for precise hole drilling in hard metals. Most standard steel drill bit sets include drill bits from 1/16 inch through 1 inch.
There are some good tips to select the best drill bits. You will find these tips helpful in selecting the best drill bit for your need:
Tips to Select the Best Drill Bits
1. Select a bit that fits. If you are using a power drill, then make sure that you select a bit that is compatible with your power drill. Choose wisely
2. The size of the bit should match the size of the screw head. Screws have different sizes and so do drill bits, so choose carefully and don't mismatch the two together
3. Always look out for the material of which the bit is made from. The materials determine how long it can last and how well it holds up to pressure
4. Drill bits are not just used for drilling holes into walls or steel but also for cutting through different metals like cast iron or brass
5. Check if there is any warranty on the product you are purchasing; it proves that you are buying a quality product
6. Don't use an electric powered machine to get through difficult tasks; use a manual one instead because most electric powered machines have high-speed settings that can be dangerous to your health.
ARHTRD is one of the Hardware shop in Dubai, UAE. We offer the largest selection of high quality and competitively priced hand tools. Our range includes hand tool individual parts and sets, quick & easy fit power tools including screwdrivers and drills, fastening systems, special tools and tool accessories.